This week I put my designs together into double page spreads. I haven't written text for each of my markets yet, so I used place holder text instead. I also added a place for my key to go on the page (still need to draw the images for this though) (see sun for example of what this could look like)
I began looking at my two conceptual ideas and decided to individually make them into two page spreads. I used my colour scheme again through these designs.
I decided to keep the title and main image on one page, and the text plus keys on the other page.
Putting them together into a spread made them feel much more like a real booklet than the flat, single pages designs.
The tried each design with 2 vertical text boxes and again with 2 wide ones. I preferred the wider ones as they feel like they sit better on the page rather than hanging down like the vertical ones do.
After getting some feedback on my work, I realised that:
-The text boxes were not a good idea as they drew too much attention to the text, rather than letting the text quietly sit on the page.
-The type faces that I was using on each page for the headings worked well for each individual page's emotion, but not for the booklet as a whole.
-I had two ideas going that could now be merged together (combine the market photographs with the doodles)
I moved on by trying two new ideas which were combinations of my original two designs.
With the circle ones, I replaced the patterns with the drawings I had done.
I also took out the text boxes which made the text much more subtle on the page.
On each design I added a coloured line along the side of the text.
Tulia and I discussed making the line thinner so that less attention was drawn to it. I also made the circles for my key smaller, as they were too much of a focus on the page.
Making small changes like this already has opened the spread up much more.
With my hand design, I developed this by bringing the market photograph into the background. I like the way that it almost feels like you have gone to the market yourself after looking at this design because of the combination of the photo with the handful of items from that experience.
I wanted to keep lots of white space, especially where the text was so that it could be read easily.
I decided to try out what it would look like with coloured background instead (as well as applying the smaller keys and thin line next to the text to this design).
I also came up for the images for each of my keys (see workbook).
Adding colour to the background helps to relate it to the markets more individually.












No comments:
Post a Comment